Saturday, October 10, 2009

Full and Heavy

My milk came in today
as full and heavy as my heart.
I don't have you to give it to
because now we are apart.

I watched you hiccup on the screen
and felt you kick a bit.
Sometimes I can still feel you,
though it seems silly to admit.

I'm grateful for every day I had-
the timing was God's choice.
For some reason He wanted you back
before He gave you a voice.

I always learn through every loss
as God solidly holds my hand,
but what I've finally figured out
is that I'm not supposed to understand.


"We can try to limit suffering, fight against it, but we cannot eliminate it. It is when we attempt to avoid suffering by withdrawing from anything that might involve hurt, when we try to spare ourselves the effort and pain of pursuing truth, love, and goodness, that we drift into a life of emptiness..." Pope Benedict

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful, Stephanie. You always inspire me with the depth of your faith and the magnitude of your courage. I didn't answer this on Facebook but I think that my first memory of you was noticing you bringing all of your children to an early morning daily mass. It impressed me then and still does that you could get all those kids out of bed, dressed, and out the door to go to mass when it would have been so much easier to have a lazy morning at home. Your children are blessed to have a mom who lives her faith daily. You are what Mother Teresa called "love in action". God bless you and all of your family. Sharon VandeWater

    ReplyDelete